Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I am thinking about getting a new high powered rifle. Just curious what people think i should get.?

I like rock chuck and ground hog hunting myself mostly with a Ruger M77 in 243. I assume you are talking about a different kind of hog. I would recommend a good bolt action in 308 to answer your question. .30-06 is only mildly more effective with heavier bullets and there is less cheap ammunition available outside of CMP and a few sources. 308 does everything just as well with 180 grain and below and tends to be more plentiful. You already have some semi-autos and shotguns. So the next logical step is a nice 30 caliber rifle that is more accurate than your Nagant. Savage 10FP or Remington 700 PSS or SPS with good glass would be fun and practical. Either will easily shoot as well as you can and still remain affordable. I sold my two Savage 10 FP's (20 and a 26") to afford an AR-10 and while I won't sell the AR-10, I regret getting rid of both of the bolt guns. Once I purchase another, it won't be going anywhere. While the 26 inch had greater velocity, the 20 inch barrel was much handier and lighter. I would recommend a 700 or model 10 in 308 with a 20" barrel and a good scope. Shooting at distance is a ball. A pistol might be a good time too, I don't see one listed in your collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment